Training of personnel, both technical and commercial, is very essential for the successful operation of any industry. With the birth and growth of Indian Merchant Marine, T.S. DUFFERIN/T.S. RAJENDRA, Directorate of Marine Engineering (DMET), Lal Bahadur Shastri Nautical and Engineering College and other institutions for training navigating ofﬁcers, marine engineers and seamen evolved. There was a dire need for an Indian Institution for training of personnel on commercial aspects and management of shipping.
The National Shipping Board which is a high level advisory body set up under the Merchant Shipping Act, 1958 recommended to the Government of India for the establishment of an autonomous institution for training personnel and conducting examinations on the commercial aspects of shipping and for helping the shipping industry by undertaking necessary research into various problems facing the industry. The Government accepted this recommendation. Precisely to ﬁll up this need, an Institute of Shipping named after late Shri Narottam Morarjee in recognition of his great pioneering contributions to Indian shipping was established on 3rd January, 1969 under the joint auspices of the Government of India and the Indian Shipping Industry.
Fellowship / P. G. Diploma in Shipping
The Government of India have given recognition to a pass in the Fellowship/Diploma in Shipping awarded by the “Narottam Morarjee Institute of shipping, Mumbai, as desirable qualiﬁcations for initial recruitment to middle level or subordinate posts and services under the Central Government in the appropriate ﬁeld. The persons holding Fellowship/Diploma in Shipping from this Institute and having experience of 7 years service in Commercial Shipping after acquiring the qualiﬁcations be considered eligible for promotion/selection to superior posts in the appropriate ﬁeld.”
- Vide letter No.F.18-1/83-T.12 dated 16th April, 1983 from Shri R.S. Maheshwari, Education Ofﬁcer (T), Bureau of Technical Education, Department of Education, Ministry of Education and Culture, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Ofﬁce Memorandum No.F.18-65/75-T. T/T.12 dated New Delhi, the 5th May, 1983 from Deputy Educational Adviser, Department of Education, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Education & Culture, Government of India, New Delhi.
Narottam Morarjee Institute of Shipping – Course Details
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN SHIPPING MANAGEMENT
ASSOCIATESHIP / FELLOWSHIP
|Age Requirements||Minimum 20 years||Minimum 20 years|
|Educational Qualification||Graduate in any discipline||Minimum 12th Pass|
|Job Experience Requirements||None||Min 3 Years in Shipping or related Industry|
|Annual Fees 1st Year||Rs 21,500||Rs 21,500|
|Annual Fees 2nd Year||Rs 24,500||Rs 24,500|
Narottam Morarjee Institute of Shipping – Syllabus
ASSOCIATESHIP / POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN SHIPPING MANAGEMENT — FIRST YEAR
(1) GEOGRAPHY OF SEA TRANSPORT
(2) COMMERCIAL AND SHIPPING LAW
(3) SHIPPING PRACTICE
(4) ECONOMICS OF SEA TRANSPORT
(5) CURRENT SHIPPING ENVIRONMENT
FELLOWSHIP/ POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN SHIPPING MANAGEMENT — FINAL YEAR
(1) LAW OF SEA TRANSPORT
(2) SHIPPING ECONOMICS & FINANCE
(3) RISK MANAGEMENT & MARINE INSURANCE
(5) LINER TRADE & MULTIMODAL TRANSPORT